Sunday, September 24, 2006

music

This i-tunes thing is becoming a problem, mainly because I now clearly need an i-pod to keep all this music on. So.

Tonight I've been downloading... I've bought the Gap Band's "You Dropped a Bomb on Me", "Rock the Casbah" by the Clash, "Take on Me" by A-Ha, "Don't You Want Me" by the Human League, and "Too Shy" by Kajagoogoo. Ya think I'm going through an 80s thing here? You think? (Mare, I miss you!!!)

I can't help it. Despite the identical forward driving beats, the synthesizers and the inane lyrics, they are making me happy. I'm right back there in our little apartment with the fake fireplace made of construction paper bricks scotch-taped to the wall and the mound of smelly old tennis shoes on our porch, conveniently there so we could shoe they guys next door. See, we were too impatient to use phones so when we needed our guys, we'd grab a shoe, aim at their door, and KA-BLAM, fling away. The pile of shoes migrated quite efficiently between our porches and the phrase "Shoe the guys and see if they're ready to go" was actually quite understandable and meaningful.

One night we grabbed some beer and were all sitting out at a nearby park just hanging out. The stars were out and it must have been this time of year - a very slight chill of fall was in the air. Mark made the comment that we should all get back together again in 20 years and come back to this same park. The movie "The Big Chill" had just come out so we laughed and agreed, but the idea of twenty years down the road was unfathomable to us, mainly because that was longer than most of us had been alive at the time.

That took place more than 20 years ago. Gulp.

We never did all get back together - at least not all at the same time. Mare and I have had an ongoing argument over whether that conversation at the park actually ever took place or if I just dreamed it. I figure it's unquestionably real since my memory doesn't include Mark professing his undying love for me, and if it'd been a dream I'm positive that part would have been in there somewhere. Look, he and I both liked Shakespeare!! I had no choice but to have a crush on him, despite the fact that it bordered on incestuous.

Anyway, the thing is, I don't feel so far away from the person I was then. I am totally different in many ways (in so many MANY ways), but the way I feel inside: the insecurities, the excitement in the pit of my stomach, the yearning for ... *something*, the absolute joy at laughing - that's all still there. And this music...this silly music puts me right back there instantly. I've got to say that it's the closest thing to magic or a miracle that I've run across so far.

(Mare, I just downloaded that song just for you. You know - ooh, that song we like? Who sings it?) :-)

God, friends are fun!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen, just got back from Telluride, so I'm just now catching up...I'm glad you are hooked on iTunes. It's a blast, eh?

I downloaded a bunch of 80s songs from iTunes a few months ago with the intention of sending them to you and I never found the time to do it...but I will now :)