Saturday, December 03, 2005

me and bruce

Yowza. Life's been on overdrive for the last week.

E's birthday has come and gone. Her sleepover party started with 5 guests and ended with 1 remaining the next morning. The others left under various states of duress throughout the night. That's about what I expected for a 5/6/7 year old sleepover. E's 7 and happy now, so it was a success.

I leave for San Francisco tomorrow - anyone reading send good vibes for my husband and children to survive without me. I know, of course, that they'll be fine but I like to think it'll be a struggle without me.

And hey - I have a new buddy now. Me and Bruce Hornsby - we're like *this*, you know. For the uninitiated, Bruce is a local around here in the Burg - it's not weird to see him just about anywhere around town. I've seen him at Target once, in fact. Well, he's a part owner in the newest radio station here in town (which, by the way, FINALLY gives us some good music to listen to). For publicity, he's giving a holiday concert here at the college tonight...at the main Hall, which, coincidentally, is where my kids take gymnastics. As I was watching them do their cartwheels and pullups ands roundoffs today, I kept hearing very wonderful music wafting through the air. I finally realized they were rehearsing for the concert tonight (actually, John had to tell me what was going on). I wandered up the stairs to the gymnasium and came out about 50 feet away from the MAN himself. The crew was busy playing basketball in the corner so no one looked at me and I made myself comfortable and watched them jam and improvise and joke around for about an hour. How cool is that? I tried to call Marion ASAP so she could enjoy it with me but my cell phone wouldn't work in there.

So Bruce and I, we're good buddies now. We had a meaningful moment when our eyes met , and I could tell he was either thinking "Who in the h*ll is that?" or "Wow, she is so gorgeous and fun-looking and hip and cool that I cannot sleep well again until I can call her my friend." I prefer to believe the latter of course. And I gave him a little wink (which may have been actually a twitch) and a smile to let him know I could indeed read his thoughts and I was open to hanging out with him at Aromas anytime for a coffee.

By the way, I am not *at* the concert tonight because B and K asked me, like about 2 months ago, to babysit for them tonight so they could go. Being the wonderful friend that I am, I happily agreed. I was not so happy after watching the rehearsal today, and briefly thought about several creative ways to weasel out of our agreement, but nah. Bruce and I are good buddies, but I have some pretty great other friends too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is his band still called Bruce Hornsby and the range? Man, that's really cool PM. Good luck in SF.

SR

Mama Moose said...

It's Bruce Hornsby and the Noisemakers now.

I went to the concert and saw him before the show when I got lost on the way to the bathroom. Maybe we can all hang out!