Monday, July 23, 2007

Second-rate fans

I have been completely unmotivated to write this week, but seeing as how I now have a more than a week-old post still up as my "most recent", I'm embarrassed enough to write something, ANYTHING.

I spent the obligatory day (all day) Saturday reading Harry Potter. However, I was made to realize that we are really only second-rate fans. At 11:30 pm on Friday night, we all four got in the van to drive up to the bookstore for the midnight release. First stop was the outlet bookstore close to our house, where Q snagged HP VI a few years ago at 12:13 am. The mall was very quiet. We drove around it slowly, to convince ourselves that they really weren't open. I noticed a security guard noticing us, and noticed that she began walking rapidly toward our van. Being the caring mom that I am, I got the kids all worked up into a tizzy by shouting that she was coming to arrest us as John sped off. They didn't know whether to giggle or be freaked out. E delighted in telling us that she was so scared her "butt cheeks were tight." (She's my poet).

Next stop was Barnes and Noble. Which was definitely open. We squeezed our way in and I overheard an official looking lady at a desk tell a customer that yes, there were books available even if you hadn't registered for one, but they were selling the pre-ordered books first. All 783 of them. I choked and pushed my family out of the store.

Next stop was Books-a-million, which had a parking lot that was totally packed. People were parking on the street. We drove home and went to bed.

So although we tried to be fanatics, we simply didn't have the energy. It was just fine to drive back up to B&N at 9am the next morning and wait in line for 15 minutes before buying two books. (Yes, two. I don't trust Q enough not to spoil it for me so we both had our own books).

It was worth it.

P.S. Do NOT read the comments to this post unless you have finished HP or unless you don't care about spoilers!!!! Consider this fair warning. :-)

3 comments:

Ruthie said...

LOL!

I just went to Wal-Mart at 12:30 that night. I've become such a midwesterner. God forbid.

What did you think of the book?

Did you think the ending cheapened it, or was it just as you'd hoped it would be? Did you cry? (I'm especially thinking of a certain house-elf here).

I don't have anyone to talk to about it, you see, because my roommate is moving out and doesn't read HP anyway, and my friends who DO read it haven't gotten to the end of the book yet.

lrd said...

So, is it good? Is it worth it? I'm such a second-rate fan (maybe 4th or 5th rate) I won't buy it till several people recommend it!

Anonymous said...

HP is one of the few book series I devour in a few days. I finished mine last night and am thinking of starting the previous book soon.