Friday, May 22, 2009

continued

I was surprised when I looked at the date of my last post. Apparently, I'm still losing days. So on that topic (my last post) here are my latest adventures in the story of my mind's demise:

At the orthodontist yesterday (for Q) I was trying to make an appointment for E to be evaluated. They were getting some background information.
"Who's her dentist?"
All I could think of was "Dr. Payne." We've never had a dentist called Dr. Payne, but my friend and I were discussing unfortunate names one day long long ago and he told me HE used to have a dentist called Dr. Payne. Why that was the only name that came to me I don't know. (As an aside, my contribution to that conversation was the vet who put down my first dog Callias. His name was Dr. Stiff. Seriously).

Anyway. I hit my head with my palm and mumbled something about losing my mind. "He's in Hampton" I offered.
"Hampton?" the assistant asked as she flipped through a list of names. "Not Newport News?"
"Um, it's Newport News" I said.
In my defense, I usually call the whole peninsula down there Hampton because it's simpler to say. They finally found the name of E's dentist.

Then there was the lovingly made peanut butter and jelly sandwich that was intended to give my dear son sustenance during his 5:30-7:30 baseball practice (before dinner). I left it neatly wrapped sitting on our counter until I found it at about 10 pm last night. So there's not much progress on the losing my mind front.

I'll keep you posted, if I can remember.

9 comments:

J said...

Maybe that was me? My orthodonist was Dr. Payne. My friend had Dr. Cage.

So sorry about the scatteredness. I'm there with you. Have so much to do, but can't remember most of it.

Kanga Jen said...

You're kidding!! I was actually referring to a friend down here - that's so funny that you also had a Dr. Payne for a dentist. It could be that you did tell me that already, but I've forgotten. That seems to be par for the course for me now.

I'd better write my memoirs quickly. ;-)

Holly Jahangiri said...

OMG, I feel better already. I think I've just completely FORGOTTEN about half of W.'s orthodontist appointments. But I can so totally relate to everything you've said, and it makes me feel good (because we're BOTH too bright for this) to hear YOU say it, too.

Kanga Jen said...

Holly, I'm glad I'm not the only one too. I used to be pretty competent. Maybe it's not loss of brain function but we're just unconsciously rebelling and deciding we deserve some time off.

J said...

Bingo! We deserve some time off!

Lynne Thompson said...

I've been chewing on this for a bit and I propose that "losing one's mind" is scary but perhaps is the first uncomfortable stage in a series of stages that lead to a whole new, wiser, different you.
At least this is what I am hoping..I'd cross my fingers while I type this if I could:-)

Anonymous said...

I have a friend named Les Rash. The receptionist in his dermatologist office did not believe him when he gave her his name. He did NOT find this funny. I did, and I laughed my butt off (not within his prescence) when he told me the story.
Tra

Kanga Jen said...

Tracy, that is hysterical!!! The story of the name is funny enough, but that they didn't believe him.... LOL!!!!!
Poor guy. I guess he had to pull out his driver's license eventually.

Mare said...

I feel for ya sister. I'm having the same issues with my memory...maybe one day you will do something like your dad...driving off down the street with the "How to improve your memory" book on the bumper...I will never forget THAT at least, it's still funny today.