Saturday, February 21, 2009

this is why this man is my hero

">edited: Anyone know who said these quotes? They're all from the same person...

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep seated need to believe

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.

The well-meaning contention that all ideas have equal merit seems to me little different from the disastrous contention that no ideas have any merit.

I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience. And in addition, to whatever measure this term has any meaning, science has the additional virtue, and it is not an inconsiderable one, of being true.

Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.

In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time someting like that happened in politics or religion.

11 comments:

Snowbrush said...

"You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence..."

Right, it's non-falsifiable, meaning that whatever argument you offer can be rationalized away.

Did I mention that I'm from Mississippi? I lived there for my first 37 years, but have rarely been back since. I really miss the plant life, but not much else.

Hadass Eviatar said...

OK, Jen, humour me. Who said this? Forgive me if I am not seeing the obvious ...

Kanga Jen said...

Hadass:
It was a non-articulated "guess who".
It's a list of separate quotes too, rather than something they said all at once.
Edited to clarify...

SB:
Yes, I do think I remember you mentioning Mississippi in one of your posts. My husband had a chance at job transfer (with more $$$) to Mississippi at one time. I told him "I'll miss you." (He didn't take the job, for anyone wondering).

Snowbrush said...

As a whole, I shouldn't think Mississippi would be very different from Georgia culturally, so I'm wondering what your main objection was. Mississippi is flatter, of course, but the botany is pretty much the same (the natural environment being important to you).

Kanga Jen said...

I lived in Atlanta during my years in Georgia, which is a whole different area from the rest of the state.

My objection to Mississippi is the idea of raising children there, for a variety of reasons. Education, race relations, fundamentalists, etc. I do think it's a lovely state, physically (but not enough seasons for my taste)

Hadass Eviatar said...

LOL, judging by the proximity to February 12th I'm going to guess Darwin ;-).

Kanga Jen said...

No, not Darwin, but good guess.

Lynne Thompson said...

Carl Sagan? I know you love him...he was so cool. LT

Kanga Jen said...

Ding ding!
Yes, yes, Lynne. Carl Sagan.
If I could have dinner with anyone, I think I may pick him.

Great, great man.

polli said...

My favorite? "The well-meaning contention..." Wait, or it might be the last one. When I find people who can go, "Hmmm. You might be right. Let me think on that" I fall in love with them on the spot.

Must read some Sagan.

Lynne Thompson said...

I am so tickled that I guessed it...:-)