Sunday, April 06, 2008

blogging from the Arctic

...the subarctic, really.

For the next few weeks, while I am here in Fairbanks, Alaska for a scientific field study to look at the impact of climate change on the Arctic atmosphere, I will be blogging for the Discovery Channel Earth Live webpage. The producer has told me it will go live on Monday, April 7.

The link to the general page is here.

You click on the "From the Field" button to the left of the globe, and then click on one of the pink pins that appears on the globe. (Mine, of course, will be in Fairbanks). I probably won't keep up with this blog much in the meantime. Stop on by and see how things are going up here from time to time! My days so far have been limited to sitting hunched over my computer in a meeting room. Some of those on the aiplanes have gotten to see polar bears trotting across the Arctic Canadian Islands, walruses diving off of the ice and caribou running below during some of their boundary layer (near surface) legs. On Wednesday they'll be flying just by the north pole, and those of you who laughed about us blundering into Russian air space, I'll have you know that Russia has claimed the north pole, so we have to be very careful about where we fly. (Besides, my co-worker filed that particular flight plan instead of me so I can't be blamed).

I'll update when I get the exact link for my part of the Discovery Channel blog...

In the meantime, here's a photo of the DC8. You can see all the inlets for the instruments making the measurements poking out every which way.

5 comments:

JeepGirl said...

You have a cool job. I'm really re-thinking that Marketing major now...

J said...

Way, way cool.

Ruthie said...

That is SO COOL.

Wayfarer Scientista said...

Yay, Fairbanks! And walruses, and polar bears, and caribou (I've had the luxury of seeing those from the air myself). Now that I know the scope of your project, BE CAREFUL about that Russian airspace! Putin has made somme not so friendly comments lately about the arctic. Hope you have fun!

Mr Pineapples said...

What is going on???