Sunday, April 02, 2006

spring and a decade of fun

I'm either forgetful, or just easily awed. Every change of season, there's a whole new package of items that just thrill me with their newness. Spring is here, and it marches amongst the honeysuckle and forsythia with baseball bats and gloves. Saturday was baseball opening day ceremonies around here, which is just...fun.




Q is the tall one, and E is the smiley one. You can click on the pictures to get a bigger version.




It was also Q's tenth birthday. Ten years. Lordy. You know, you always hear mothers like me saying things like "It seems like it's gone so fast...." and other wistful, bittersweet things. But I tell you what. What I'm going to concentrate on is that there's really not much bittersweet about Q turning 10. Because he ROCKS. I love seeing this person unfold before my eyes. What a trip! Time hasn't gone any faster these last ten years than it ever has. It's just marching on, with me riding along on the conveyer belt, and I happened to hop on at the same time as these two marvelous people that happen to be my children. I get a front row seat, and it's amazingly wonderful.


Here's Q surrounded by his favorite people - sis, friends, mom and dad, and second mom and dad B&K. He had a nice party with too much pizza and ice cream cake, and he and his buddies got to go see Ice Age 2, then stay up past midnight playing game cube. It was fun - but I feel the need to say here that 10 year old boys can certainly be very raunchy. Gak. DH had to pat my hand a few times to keep me from blanching visibly at their jokes. They're nothing you want me to repeat here, I promise.

He got a couple of Shaun White DVD's, who is one COOL kid. I'm all about Q having him for a role model...I guess. The guy's 19 and owns like 3 mansions and has his own fashion line. Um, yeah. I could deal with that. HOWEVER, I did let Q know whilst watching Shaun White snowboard down virgin snow in the Alakan mountains that I'd be fine with him not going to that extreme. My ever-cautious kiddo looked at me like I was nuts. Thank goodness he's all about snowboarding down east coast mountains and watching guys like Shaun White tackle the others. OK.

More later. I've been really emotional lately and have lots I want to blog about but want to work on getting it all laid out right. I had a dream the other night that Q and I were towing a school bus with a bicycle...through sand. Hm. You think that means something?

2 comments:

Lynne Thompson said...

Quinton does rock! And so do you!
What a great birthday. Shaun White is so cool, I love him too. Tell Quinton Happy Birthday! 10! A decade. dude.

Anonymous said...

Oh,,,,, my. You forgot to point out that Q was the tall one in THE YANKEES UNIFORM! heehee.

trouble maker.....